Want to get from New York to Perth in under 4 hours, or maybe just head to outer space on a lark? Reaction Engines’ “Skylon” mach 5 spaceplane might be your chariot — or not. Its scheme of ingesting oxygen from the atmosphere instead of stowing it like a
50-year old modern multi-stage rocket sounds good, but the project’s fate may hang on critical new tests. Failure is still a possibility, but if the high-speed, superhot gases can be cooled enough for the hybrid Sabre engines to work, and if Reaction Engines Limited can secure another round of funding, punching your space-ticket could soon be a very real possibility.
Amazon tag cloud
- Pctwix.com – Axio returns as Melon, an EEG headband that’ll help you learn to focus
- Pctwix.com – Alt-week 5.16.13: bug eyes, robo-cops and fake flowers
- Pctwix.com – Cast AR hands-on with Jeri Ellsworth at Maker Faire 2013
- Pctwix.com – Dell Project Ophelia USB Android stick to ship in July, priced at $100
- Pctwix.com – Sprint closes deal to buy US Cellular spectrum, adds 420,000 customers